Self Respect Movement
The self Respect Movement is a political movement started by Periyar, with the aim of achieving equal rights for oppressed castes, and rights for women.
The first conference for the movement was held in 1929 at Chengalpattu. In 1937, Justice Party has declined a lot because they Won the election by the majority, and C. Rajagopalachari, went on to become Chief Minister.
Against Hindi in Schools
C. Rajagopalachari, Chief Minister of Madras, introduced Hindia as a compulsory language in schools. Periyar agitated against Hindi as a compulsory subject. Also, huge numbers of students participated in the agitations.
In 1925, the Communist party was started and did various political movements for the labor community.
M.Singaravelu and his associates part of the communist party were impressed by the Self Respect Movement. They extended their support to the Self Respect Movement and worked on a common plan called the Erode Plan.
Objectives of the Self-Respect Movement
The main objective of the Self Respect movement is to make the Dravidian community a truly rational society. Other objectives are:
- To save Dravidian culture from domination of Aryan culture,
- To teach Tamil civilization,
- To reform the native religion by eliminating the brahmin influence.
- To eliminate the superstitious practices,
- To restore the dravidian culture and glory,
- To promote self respect marriage, marriage with absense of brahmin priesthood.,
- To promote intecaste marriage and widow remarriage,
- Removal of caste surnames,
- Not to employ the services of the Brahmins in any social events .