Cyclone Disaster management
Cyclone disaster management is most important, as cyclone affects coastal India maximum than any other. India has a coastline of about 7516 km and it is exposed to 10% of the world’s tropical cyclones.
In India, ten states are vulnerable to flood-prone. They are Gujarat, Maharashtra, Goa, Karnataka, Kerala, Tamil Nadu, Pondicherry, Andhra Pradesh, Orissa, and West Bengal. The islands of Andaman, Nicobar, and Lakshadweep are also prone to cyclones.
Flood Prone Districts in Tamil Nadu
Districts in Tamil Nadu which are frequently affected by cyclones: All the 13 coastal districts of Tamil Nadu are affected by cyclonic storms that occur during May- June and in the October-November months.
These Districts are Tiruvallur, Chennai, Kancheepuram, Villupuram, Cuddalore, Nagapattinam, Tiruvarur, Thanjavur, Pudukkottai, Ramanathapuram, Tuticorin, Tirunelveli, and Kanniyakumari.
On average, about five or six tropical cyclones form in the Bay of Bengal and the Arabian sea and hit the coast every year. Out of these, two or three are severe. When a cyclone approaches the coast, a risk of serious loss or damage occurs from severe winds, heavy rainfall, storm surges, and river floods.
The effect of a storm surge is most pronounced in wide and shallow bays exposed to cyclones such as in the northern part of the Bay of Bengal.
Most cyclones occur in the Bay of Bengal followed by those in the Arabian Sea and the ratio is approximately 4:1. During the cyclonic of cyclonic storms, wind speed is between 65 km/h and117 km/h.
Rules of action before a cyclone
- Go to high-lying places from low-lying areas
- Those residing in old buildings should temporarily relocate to safer buildings; Jewels and documents should be kept in safe custody.
- Battery-operated radio, plastic torchlight, lamp, kerosene, match-box should be kept safely for future use.
- Keep in ready all the first-aid kits and material available with you.
- Keep in stock foodstuffs, material, fuel, drinking water, and life-saving drugs needed for the next week.
- It is also important to take cattle and other pets to safer places and also it is important to know that if we see quickly approaching storm clouds it is possible to predict strong winds several minutes in advance.