Skip to content
* * All the Notes in this blog, are referred from Tamil Nadu State Board Books and Samacheer Kalvi Books. Kindly check with the original Tamil Nadu state board books and Ncert Books.
- The member of the Constituent Assembly drafted the Indian Constitution. On 9 December 1946, the constituent Assembly first met.
- The constituent assembly reassembled after the partition of Pakistan for the remaining part on 14th August 1947.
- The members of the Constituent Assembly were elected indirectly by the members of the Provincial Legislative Assemblies.
- The constituent Assembly was made of members suggested by the Committee of the British Cabinet also known as the Cabinet Mission.
The Role of Provinces and the Princely States
- Seats were allotted to the Provinces and the Princely States based on the proportion to their population roughly in the ratio of 1:1 Million.
- The Provinces were to elect 292 members while the princely states were to elect a minimum of 93 seats.
- The number of seats in the provinces was divided between the three major religions such as Hindu, Muslim and Sikh with respect to their proportion to their population.
- The member of each community in the Provisional Legislative Assembly elected their members by Proportional representation with a single transferable vote.
- The method of selection of representatives of Princely states was to be determined by the princely states themselves.
Composition of the constituent assembly
- 284 members were present on 26th November 1949 and added their signatures to the constitution which finally passed.
- The first meeting of the Constituent Assembly took place in New Delhi at the Constitution Hall on 9th December 1946.
- Dr Sachchidananda Sinha took Chair as a Temporary Chairman.
- The final meeting of the Constituent Assembly took place on 24th January 1950, with the “Signing of the Constitution” and Dr Rajendra Prasad is the Chairman of the Debate.
- The Constituent Assembly debate consists of 12 Volumes. The Constituent Assembly was held between 9th December 1946 to 24th January 1950.
Major committees in Indian constituent assembly
- Drafting Committee – B. R. Ambedkar.
- Union Power Committee – Jawaharlal Nehru.
- Union Constitution Committee – Jawaharlal Nehru.
- Provincial Constitution Committee – Vallabhbhai Patel.
- Advisory Committee on Fundamental Rights, Minorities and Tribal and Excluded Areas – Vallabhbhai Patel.
- Fundamental Rights Sub-Committee – J. B. Kripalani
- Minorities Sub-Committee – Harendra Coomar Mookerjee,
- North-East Frontier Tribal Areas and Assam Excluded & Partially Excluded Areas Sub-Committee – Gopinath Bordoloi
- Excluded and Partially Excluded Areas (Apart from those in Assam) Sub-Committee – A V Thakkar
- Rules of Procedure Committee – Rajendra Prasad
- States Committee (Committee for negotiating with states) – Jawaharlal Nehru
- Steering Committee – Rajendra Prasad
- National Flag and HOC Committee – Rajendra Prasad
- Committee for the function of the Constitution Assembly – G V Mavlankar
- House Committee – B Pattabhi Sitaramayya
- Language Committee – Moturi Satyanarayana
- Order of Business Committee – K M Munshi