What is Gi Tag?
GI Tag is a sign or indicator given to the products that have a specific geographical origin or reputation due to their geographical origin. It is registered under the Goods (Registration and Protection) Act, 1999.
Under the Department for Promotion of Industry and Internal Trade. It is defined under Article 22(1) of the WTO Agreement on Trade-Related Aspects of Intellectual Property Rights (TRIPS) Agreement.
Darjeeling Tea is the first product to be given GI Tag in India. It is administered by the Controller General of Patents, Designs and Trade Marks, which is the Registrar of Geographical Indications located at Chennai.
178 handicrafts were registered under GI tagging as of August 2019.
Geographical indication 2019
- Palani Panchamirtham
- It is a ‘Prasadam‘ – A sweet or food which is offered in Temple.
- It is prepared Palani Murugan temple, it is made up of banana, sugar, ghee, honey, dates, cardamom etc.
- Virupatchi, a variety of Banana is used for preparation, it grows only in Palani Hills.
- It is the earliest Mizor clothes, used by warriors.
- It is a colourful shawl from Mizoram that has a cultural significance among the Mizo Puan and worn only by courageous warriors among the Mizo men.
- It is the most exquisite and intricately designed handwoven textile.
- Dindigul locks
- These locks are made in Dindigul city which is called Lock city are very famous for their superior quality and durability.
- In this region, there is an abundance of iron which encouraged the growth of the Lock Industry.
- These locks are entirely handmade and it is made of brass and iron.
- Many Government institutions and high profile businesses use Dindigul lock as it is considered high safety and foolproof.
- Rasagola (Odisha)
- It is a dessert popular in India and South Asian Diaspora.
- In India, there are primarily two types of Rasagolas. One is Odisha rasagola and another one in Bengali roshogollas.
- In 2016, West Bengal Government applied for GI Tag for it Rasagola, locally named Banglar Rosogolla.
- In 2017 West Bengal got Geographical indication status for its Rasagola.
- In 2018, Odisha got Geographical indication status for its Rasagola locally named Odia Rasgulla.
- Kandangi Sarees
- Tirur Betel Leaf
- Mizo Puanchei
- Kondapalli Toys