The Prime Minister’s Office (PMO) has said that PM Cares Fund is “Not a public authority” by Section 2(h) of RTI Act 2005.
Section 2(h) defines “Public Authority”. A Public Authority is defined as Any authority or body or institution of self-government established or constituted:
- by or under the constitution
- by any other law made by state legislature
- by any other law made by the state legislature parliament
- by a notification issued or order made by the Government and include any
- body owned, controlled or substantially financed.
NGO substantially financed, directed, or indirectly by funds provided by the appropriate government.
What is PM Cares Fund?
It is expanded as Prime Minister’s Citizen Assistance and Relief in Emergency Situation Fund. It was created on 27 March 2020 following the Pandemic due to Covid-19. This fund is meant for combat, and to provide relief to covid-19 victims and people of India.